Are you buying a New build Home?
New builds are becoming an increasingly popular means of buying, especially for first time buyers who are making use of the government's First Homes Scheme or shared ownership/shared equity schemes. New build properties offer an array of advantages over second-hand properties. To ensure that your purchase runs as smoothly as possible, you will need expert solicitors to provide you with a fast, efficient, and friendly service, ensuring you can move into your new property without worry.
The Country’s Favourite Conveyancer
Working With Our Customers
Whether you are buying your first home, moving up the ladder or restructuring your assets, we are the law firm for you.Read more
Working With First Time Buyers
Almost 50% of our work is with first time buyers from all across the UK and we have one of the largest new build departments in the country.Read more
Part Exchange Experts
We have a dedicated Part Exchange Team working closely with the major housebuilders and working to tight timescales, from 28 days from reservation to exchange.Read more
24/7 access is available to our PLS Portal via PC, tablet, or smartphone and is also available to download as an App. Customers have full access to their case file and can complete, sign and submit documents instantly. Updates can also be accessed by housebuilders.Read more
Shared Ownership Advice
Shared Ownership provides an opportunity to purchase a share in a new build or resales property and is an alternative to renting and to those who are unable to buy on the open market.Read more
First Homes Scheme Advice
The First Homes Scheme is a blossoming government initiative that provides discounted new-build homes to first-time buyers in England.Read more
What is a new build property
A new build property is a brand-new home which has never been lived in. Recently, there has been a great emphasis on building more houses to tackle the property shortage, therefore many properties on the market today are New build properties.
Why purchase a new build property?
New build properties are less likely to require works or maintenance at the point of purchase than an older property. Energy and heating bills may also be cheaper since new homes are more efficient and better insulated.
If you are buying your home off-plan (before it has been built) then you will often have some input into some of the design features of the house.
Many fixtures and fittings which you would normally expect to pay for in an older property are already installed in new build properties. For example, double or triple glazed windows, insulation, energy efficient heating and white goods such as dish washers are often already present in new build properties.
What is the process of buying a new build home?
- Consider your wider financial situation – having the right guidance on your mortgage and your finances is vital. This way you can make a budget you know you can afford before you start visiting properties. If you are a first-time buyer, it will be useful to have an Agreement in Principle with your lender. The Developer from whom you are purchasing may be able to recommend the services of a broker which has experience with new build properties and First Homes Scheme.
- Finding a property – Next, you should find a property you like. If you are planning on buying a new build through the First Homes Scheme, then you will need to check that the development is participating in the scheme. It is the buyer’s responsibility to know what they are buying; hence you must carefully research the area and developer to make sure you are happy with your purchase.
- Make an offer – If you decide to buy a property and are comfortable with the mortgage repayments, then you are ready to make an offer. It does not have to be the asking price, and if accepted, you will need to pay a reservation fee which will be deducted from the purchase price upon the completion of the purchase. It is not uncommon for the developer to offer the purchaser legal incentives such as a contribution towards the buyer’s legal fees or stamp duty. Any financial or non-financial incentives will need to be disclosed to your mortgage lender.
- Legal and financial advice – PLS is specialised in property and will complete the legal side of the purchase quickly and efficiently. Our team is experienced in dealing with new builds, which often involve high volumes of complex documentation. We can also negotiate a date for you to receive your keys and apply for the funds from your lender which you need to buy the property. At this early stage, you need to begin applying for a mortgage. The lender will then process your application and carry out their valuation of the property which you intend to purchase. When your mortgage offer is finally issued, a copy will be sent to you, your mortgage broker and solicitor. The solicitor’s copy generally arrives around one week after you receive your copy.
- Moving In – Exchanging contracts can be a lengthy process, but at this point you will pay your deposit. Completion dates with new builds are often delayed by developers and having a skilled conveyancer at this stage is essential. PLS will ensure that both you and your lender are kept up to date throughout the entire process.
Been using PLS to help buy my new house. Great service. Excellent communication, regular updates, nothing to much trouble, great staff too. Always happy to help and replied in good times. The portal that PLS has for distribution of information and the ability to read documents and sign documents is great. I would highly recommend PLS.
Are you a Christmas movie buff? If so, get ready to put your knowledge to the test with our property themed Christmas Movie Quiz. Where one lucky entrant will win a £100 Vue movie pass to catch up on all the latest films.Read More
"We had such a seamless experience with PLS solicitors when buying our first home. It was easy to upload documents onto their portal, and their tracker helped us to understand where we were in terms of progress." LouiseRead More
This week’s Autumn Statement, delivered by Chancellor Jeremy Hunt, brought both anticipated revelations and surprising omissions, leaving many with a curious mix of relief and uncertainty. As the dust settles from Hunt's presentation, the promises of tax cuts and investments in innovation echo loudly. Yet, notably absent from the discourse was any mention of boosting new home sales or support for the housing industry.Read More
My partner and I cannot speak highly enough of the service provided by staff at PLS Solicitors. They have been extremely helpful from start to finish with our house purchase, ensuring the process went smoothly and providing us with regular updates. We have had constant communication with PLS, who have made sure we understood every detail before taking any next steps. We highly recommend and hope to continue doing business with you in the future.
customers every year
are New build
for Exchange of contracts