Buying or Selling Your Home
Buying or selling property is a complicated process and it is easy to become confused. Having the best conveyancers on your side is key to getting the process running smoothly. Choosing PLS means our team of experts will be on hand to guide you through the process. And with our 24/7 Portal it couldn’t be easier to manage your transaction and achieve your property dreams.
PLS Guide to Your Home Sale
This is a short, animated video aimed at explaining the process of your home sale, and what you can expect from PLS Solicitors. The video provides a thorough guide, taking you through all the different stages of your transaction, from beginning your home sale, right through to the exchange of contracts, up to your completion date.
The Country’s Favourite Conveyancer
Working With our Customers
Whether you are buying your first home, moving up the ladder or restructuring your assets, we are the law firm for you.Read more
Working With First Time Buyers
Almost 50% of our work is with first time buyers from all across the UK and we have one of the largest new build departments in the country.Read more
Part Exchange Experts
We have a dedicated Part Exchange Team working closely with the major housebuilders and working to tight timescales, from 28 days from reservation to exchange.Read more
24/7 access is available to our PLS Portal via PC, tablet, or smartphone and is also available to download as an App. Customers have full access to their case file and can complete, sign and submit documents instantly. Updates can also be accessed by housebuilders.Read more
Shared Ownership Advice
Shared Ownership provides an opportunity to purchase a share in a new build or resales property and is an alternative to renting and to those who are unable to buy on the open market.Read more
First Homes Scheme Advice
The First Homes Scheme is a blossoming government initiative that provides discounted new-build homes to first-time buyers in England.Read more
Legal Help & Support For Your Journey
We understand that buying and selling a property can be stressful, especially if you have never been through the process before. The process can seem confusing, you might find it difficult to understand what you need to do and when you need to do it.
With this is mind, PLS has an experienced team on hand which will manage your case from start to finish offering all the advice and support you will need along the way. We are open evenings and weekends so you will always be able to speak to someone.
- Get your property valued – Before you think about buying a new home, you should get the property which you intend to sell valued by a local estate agent. This will help you to form an overall budget.
- Consider your finances – You should consider how much you can afford to spend on your next house as well as the equity in your current home. You may have to pay a larger deposit than the one you receive; therefore, you will need to check that you are financially able to do this. Bear in mind that there may be additional costs such as stamp duty which you will need to budget for.
- Speak to a mortgage broker – Mortgage brokers can help you to find the right solution in buying a new property. This can make a complex process less confusing.
- Find an estate agent – A good estate agent can get your property on the market quickly and begin the process of selling your home.
- Get a conveyancing solicitor – This is where we come in. At PLS, our expert team of conveyancers will conduct numerous property searches on the property which you intend to purchase once contracts have been received and before contracts are exchanged between the parties. We will also ensure that contracts are issued as quickly as possible for your home which you are intending to sell. You may be required to answer several enquiries which are raised by your buyer’s solicitor. We can provide you with advice on the house buying process and ensure your sale and purchase go through smoothly and without delay.
- Set a completion date – Once everything comes together, you’ll be ready to set a completion date and contracts can be exchanged. This is when the funds will be transferred, and keys will be handed over. Our team are experienced in negotiating a completion date that works for everyone.
- Move in – Once the process is completed and keys are exchanged, you will finally be able to move into your new home.
Stages of the selling process
The precise stages involved in the sale of a residential property vary according to the circumstances. However, a standard sale transaction will usually involve the following stages (the typical stages listed below are reflected in the indicative costs referred to above):
- Take your instructions and give you initial advice
- Preparing the contracts for sale
- Issuing the contracts
- Dealing with additional and standard enquiries raised by the buyer’s solicitors
- Liaising between you and the buyer’s solicitors on any enquiries
- Completing the sale
- Dealing with post completion matters
If the property being sold is leasehold or freehold with a management company, the following stages may also apply:
- Sending the Leasehold or Management Information Pack to the Buyer’s solicitor
- Liaising with the Landlord and / or Management company
- Dealing with additional enquiries raised by the Buyer’s solicitor in respect of the Leasehold or Management Information Pack.
Stages of the buying process
The precise stages involved in the purchase of a residential property vary according to the circumstances. However, a standard purchase transaction will usually involve the following stages (the typical stages listed below are reflected in the indicative fees and disbursements referred to above)
- Take your instructions and give you initial advice
- Receive and advise on contract documents
- Carry out searches
- Make any necessary enquiries of seller’s solicitor
- Report on the title of the property to you (and your lender if you are obtaining a mortgage).
- Report to you on the mortgage offer
- Send final contract to you for signature
- Draft the Transfer Deed
- Obtain pre-completion searches
- Exchange contracts and notify you that this has happened
- Arrange for all monies needed to be received from lender and you
- Complete purchase
- Deal with payment of Stamp Duty/Land Tax
- Deal with application for registration at Land Registry
If the property being purchased is leasehold or freehold with a management company, the following stages may also apply:
- Reviewing the Leasehold or Management Information Pack;
- Making enquiries of the seller’s solicitor, landlord and / or management company;
- Serving a Notice of Transfer and (where required) Notice of Mortgage on the Landlord and/or Management Company.
Service was great, and the staff have been really friendly and helpful!
Are you a Christmas movie buff? If so, get ready to put your knowledge to the test with our property themed Christmas Movie Quiz. Where one lucky entrant will win a £100 Vue movie pass to catch up on all the latest films.Read More
"We had such a seamless experience with PLS solicitors when buying our first home. It was easy to upload documents onto their portal, and their tracker helped us to understand where we were in terms of progress." LouiseRead More
This week’s Autumn Statement, delivered by Chancellor Jeremy Hunt, brought both anticipated revelations and surprising omissions, leaving many with a curious mix of relief and uncertainty. As the dust settles from Hunt's presentation, the promises of tax cuts and investments in innovation echo loudly. Yet, notably absent from the discourse was any mention of boosting new home sales or support for the housing industry.Read More
customers every year
are new build
for Exchange of contracts